11 weeks Thursday 6.30pm-9.30pm
Course Aims and Opportunities
This course aims to give participants a solid foundation in bookkeeping principles and the SAGE accounting software. On completion learners should be able to carry out the bookkeeping function in a small business.
The qualification is a good addition to the CV of anyone wishing to improve career prospects in office administration or bookkeeping.
Successful candidates can go on to study other business modules and progress to further qualifications in business or management.
- Principles of double entry bookkeeping
- Understand basic accounting terms
- Source Documents; Payment Methods
- Purchases, purchases returns, sales and sales returns books with VAT analysis
- Payment book and receipt book – analysed
- Post and maintain debtors, creditors and nominal accounts
- Extract a Trial Balance
- VAT calculations and complete a VAT 3 form
- Bank Reconciliation
- Set up new customers, suppliers and nominal accounts
- Set up stock/product codes and details
- Enter opening balances
- Issue, print and post sales invoices and credit notes
- Post debtors’ receipts
- Post purchases invoices, credit notes
- Post creditors’ payments
- Post current bank account receipts and payments
- Post and maintain petty cash imprest
- Verify entries made and correct errors
- Copy, backup and restore data files
- Assignment (50%): Candidates will manually complete a set of books to trial balance, including VAT and bank reconciliation.
- Examination (50%): Using the computerised accounts package Sage candidate will set up a company, setup accounts, post transactions, VAT 3 and produce various month-end reports.
Thursday 31st January 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Thursday 7th, 14th, 28th February 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Thursday 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th March 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Thursday 4th, 11th April 6.30pm-9.30pm
Thursday 2nd May 6.30pm-8.30pm
Thursday 31st January @ 6.30pm
Examination fee of €20 is payable for non medical card holders for certification of the course. If you have a valid medical card you will be exempt from the examination fee but a copy of this must be emailed on application nightclasses@westportcfe.