8 Weeks Wednesday 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Have you ever dreamed about having your own golden honey but lacked the knowledge as to how get your own hive? This course will teach you how to establish your own hive and manage your hive.
- Pollination and pollinators in the context of the 2010 UNEP report
- Beekeeping past and present. Getting started. Hive types and their respective advantages and disadvantages; hive parts and their functions
- The honey bee cycle; occupants of the hive and their functions.
- Parasites and diseases of the honey bee.
- Hive management: Stock increase, swarm control, hive splitting, uniting stocks, beekeeper’s calendar etc.
- Removal of honey from the hive and its processing.
- Sustainable versus conventional beekeeping.
- A bee-centred approach to beekeeping.
Wednesday 31st January 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Wednesday 7th ,21st,28th February 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Wednesday 7th,14th 21st March 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Wednesday 11th April 6.30pm to 8.30pm
**A visit to Bee hives may change the dates slightly
FETAC examination fee of €20 is payable for certification. If you have a valid medical card you will be exempt from the examination fee but a copy of this must be presented prior to commencement of the course.