The Hairdressing Apprenticeship is a practical route into a career in hairdressing where you will earn while you learn. Apprentices work four days a week with their employer and one day a week in college. Apprentices will be supported in the workplace by an approved mentor and in the classroom by their teacher. Apprentices will graduate after three years as a fully qualified Hairdresser with a QQI Level 6 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Health and Safety
- Client Consultation
- Shampooing, Conditioning and Treatments
- Styling and Finishing 1
- Salon Reception and ICT Skills
- Colour 1
- Cutting 1
- Customer Service and Retail
- Styling and Finishing 2
- Colour 2
- Cutting 2
- Team – Leadership
- Career in Action
- Perming and Neutralising Hair
- Cutting 3
- Colour 3
- Styling and Finishing 3
- Capstone Module
Applications for participation in the Apprenticeship program must be made by the salon directly to National Hairdressing Apprenticeship (NHA) at www.hairdressingapprenticeship.ie
The Apprentice cannot apply through Mayo College of FET, all applications come from salons through the NHA.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- QQI Level 4 Major Award, or recognized equivalent e.g. Leaving Certificate, or two years full-time experience working within a salon.
- CEFRL B2+ level of English (where English is not a first language)
In a case where an applicant does not meet the educational requirements specified above, they must satisfactorily complete an informative panel interview facilitated by the Program Manager.
There are no costs incurred by the Apprentices.
- Qualified Hair Stylists have diverse career opportunities available to them. Many work in a salon as a senior stylist, Senior Colour Technician, Style Director, Salon Manager or Salon Owner.
- The Advanced Certificate in Hairdressing is also a gateway to third-level education through which candidates may wish to acquire a management or business degree, as well as other specialist areas.
Advanced Certificate in Hairdressing, QQI Level 6 Major Award on the National Framework of Qualifications. This Certificate is not only recognized nationally but also has international currency.
Three years minimum.